|AS/RS systems are designed for automated storage and retrieval of materials in manufacturing, distribution, retail, wholesale and institutions.
They are typically used in applications where:
-There is a very high volume of loads being moved into and out of storage
-Storage density is important because of space constraints
-No value is added in this process (no processing, only storage and transport)
-Accuracy is critical because of potential expensive damages to the load
|An effective automated storage and retrieval system provides several benefits for supply chain management.
– Reduced labor for transporting items into and out of inventory
– Reduced inventory levels
– More accurate tracking of inventory
– Within the storage, items can be placed on trays or hang from bars.
– Facilitates JIT Just-In-Time production by faster organizing of storage of smaller items next to production lines.
– Helps companies cut expenses by minimizing the amount of unnecessary parts and products in storage.
– Improves organization of the contents of a warehouse.
– Increased space savings as it also allows higher storage density, narrower aisles, etc.
– Automation reduces labor costs while lowering workforce requirements and increasing safety.
– Modeling and managing the logical representation of the physical storage facilities (e.g. racking, etc.).
– Popular items, products sold together can be grouped together or placed near delivery area for faster picking, packing and shipping.
– Enables seamless linking to order processing and logistics management in order to pick, pack, and ship product out of the facility.
– Tracking where products are stocked, which suppliers they come from, and the length of time they are stored.
– By analyzing such data, companies can control inventory levels and maximize the use of warehouse space.
– Firms are more prepared for demand-supply fluctuations during peak, seasonal and lean periods.
– Data on goods storage provided by the controls can be fed into analytic systems to help companies optimize their supply chain.